Marvel Developing HULK and also CLOAK AND DAGGER as Television Series
Published: October 14, 2010 - 7:43pm
News broke at the beginning of the month that Wonder Woman was getting her own TV series again. Now Marvel is getting into the small screen adaptations with a return of the Hulk.
Just as Wonder Woman did, The Hulk enjoyed a popular run on television. The series ran from 1978-1982 and is considered by many to be one of the best comic book live adaptations, be it TV or film. ABC, a sister company to Marvel now under the Disney umbrella, will develop the show along with Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb. ABC also ran the original Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno series. The series is still in the very early stages and is still looking for a showrunner.
Many other properties have been looked at since this Spring and could still end up as television series in the near future. Marvel presented ABC with a list of potential properties:
- Heroes for Hire (focusing on ex-con Luke Cage offering to take on bad guys for a price);
- The Eternals (a race of superpowered beings live amid humanity in secret, inspiring legends);
- Agents of Atlas, Alter Ego (private investigator Jessica Jones takes on cases involving superhumans);
- Moon Knight, the Red Hood (a low-rent criminal discovers a cloak that gives him superpowers);
- Ka-Zar (a Tarzan-type and his saber-toothed tiger must journey to the concrete jungle to seek justice);
- Daughters of the Dragon (a dynamic female duo, one with a bionic arm and the other a granddaughter of a samurai, open a private-detective agency); and
- The Punisher (one man wages a war on crime; already adapted as two feature films).
The other property Marvel is looking to adapt for television is Cloak and Dagger which was not even one of the primary properties that was going to be developed. Loeb is meeting with writers and the show could land potentially on ABC Family channel. Cloak and Dagger is about two runaway teens use their powers together to defeat enemies. Cloak disorients them using his dark dimension and Dagger finishes the job with her daggers of light.
The Punisher is being eyed as a potential cable series further down the road. At this point Marvel is looking to quality over quantity and only wants to focus on one or two shows at a time.